• In the UK, black cats can bless a marriage.
• In Japan, they can bring a husband to a single woman as well as prosperity to their caregivers.
• Practitioners of Feng Shui say black cats are powerful forces for good.
• The Norse goddess of love, beauty, and fertility rides in a chariot pulled by two black cats.
• In southern France, black cats are called “money cats” since they are reported to enrich their caregivers.
• English sailors chose black cats as their ships’ mousers since the color was said to bring especially good luck.
Did you know there is no single breed of black cat? In fact, black is an acceptable color in 22 breeds of show cats, and is the only acceptable color for a Bombay cat. If your heart is set on winning a ribbon in a cat show, a black cat may be your ticket to good luck.
It’s a genetic malfunction, not breeding, that gives black cats their solid color. That’s why a black cat can eventually “rust” to a dark brown. That same genetic quirk may also make these cats more disease-resistant than their lighter colored siblings. Scientists are mapping black cat genomes as part of research into potential new treatments for HIV. Name an animal luckier than one who gets to help cure HIV.
Remember Salem fromSabrina the Teenage Witch? What about Cole, the Instagram sensation from Cole & Marmalade? Blackie, a sable-coated charmer from New York, inherited $12.5 million from his caregiver in 1988, prompting theGuinness Book of World Records to name him the world’s wealthiest (and probably luckiest!) cat.
Co-founder of Modkat, Rich Williams, is a black cat fan! This is his black cat Sashi on her black Modkat Litter Box.
A recent study by Dr. Emily Weiss of the ASPCA tells us that black cats are the most likely cats to be euthanized but also the most likely to be adopted. Since the same statistics hold true for dogs, it could be that black puppies and kittens simply don’t catch the eyes of prospective families like their light-colored siblings. Or it could be that there are more black cats than those of other colors.
• Black cats are intriguing creatures, either esteemed or shunned in most cultures.
• They have their own special day. Black Cat Appreciation Day is August 17.
• Black cats are basically miniature black panthers. Who wouldn’t want one of those prowling around the house?
• They’re curious, sleek, fun-loving, and playful, just like cats of every other color.
• Black goes with everything. Did you know people relinquish black cats because they’re not photogenic? What could complement a chic dress or suit better than a sleek black cat?
• Most importantly, black cats deserve the same healthy, happy lives their more colorful mates enjoy.
If you have a black cat, you already know you lucked out. But if you’re looking for a cat to adopt, consider bringing a black cat home with you. Like every other color of cat, they can provide you with plenty of charm for a long time.
At Modkat, we're proud of our litter liners. They're tailored to fit our cat boxes, and they make your clean-up job easy. We're answering your questions about our liners.
Do solar eclipses, full moons, and planetary movements affect our cats? If so, what should we do about it?
Creating an appropriate environment for your cat’s litter box takes ingenuity, trial and error, and a dose of respect for your feline’s right to feel comfortable doing her business.